Date:    Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:40:13 EST
From:    David Farber
Subject: [IP] more on Spielberg loses out at the push of a button
To:      ip@v2.listbox.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston
Date: January 11, 2006 4:13:00 PM EST
To: dave@farber.net, ip@v2.listbox.com

On a related note. In looking at
http://www.betanews.com/article/print/HD_DVD_Bluray_Has_Problems/1136673259
writing about the dispute over the next DVD format -- Blue-Ray vs HD
DVD -- there an interesting comment:

Additionally, Knox refuted claims that Blu-ray's use of Java for its
menu system and interactive features will make development easier. He
explained that Blu-ray is actually using an imported specification
from Europe named JEM.

It's a reminder of how differently Tellywood views technology. Last
year at CES I had trouble communicating one of the Tellywood people
who couldn't understand the idea that a traditional SD (Standard
Definition) DVD and an HD-DVD had anything in common. There is no
reason you can't use a current 4.7 (or 8.5GB DL) DVD for HD content
especially when it can play 16x. You can use better compression or
less time. Of course if you used the DVD as a transport and took
advantage of the 300GB drives becoming common then there are no
technical barriers to doing much higher resolution than HDTV circa 1995.

The DRM aspect is only part of the problem the DVD is a product
not just a delivery system. This is the reason why it's so hard to
negotiate rights. It's all about getting rights for a specific
product. Change any aspect and the agreements are no longer valid.
Thus the problems with showing classic TV content you have to
renegotiate each right.

This week there was a discussion on NPR (which does make a lot of its
content available) about re-releasing old records (aka Vinyl CDs) and
the difficulty of even finding the copyright owner since, unlike
Europe, the copyright is forever.

It's strange that music is given such stifling control.  I can sample
phrases from a book all I want but use an extra note in music you're
in deep trouble. Why?

Decoupling system elements is a major contributor to economic
progress (among other benefits) but coupling systems together is
favored by the incumbents at any point in time. The US constitution
did attempt to find a balance but those who have lost the large goals
have fixated on the means because it's too easy to focus on narrow
solutions that preserve present (AKA, the past).

At very least we need to be able to articulate the systems
considerations rather than argue about moral positions or how to
solve immediate intermediate problems like how will the artists get
paid.